A mattress is a major investment for most families, which can make it all the more frustrating when damage or stains occur. Among the most dreaded spills on a mattress are those made by urine, which can often cause lingering odor and a distinctive stain.
But whether you’re dealing with pet stains or an accidental mess made by your child, there is hope: with a few tips and a little bit of effort, you might just be able to undo the disaster.
How to Get Urine Stains Out of a Mattress
Accidents happen, but that doesn’t mean you have to settle for a stinky, stained mattress. If you detect the accident right away, you have a good chance of remedying the situation completely.
Here are our step-by-step instructions for how to remove wet urine from a mattress:
- Remove all bedding and place it in the washing machine immediately.
- Using a clean towel, blot the liquid out of the mattress as much as possible – resist the temptation to scrub, as it can drive the urine further into the mattress.
- Mix together a 50/50 blend of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle, then generously spray it over the stain.
- Cover the stained area with baking soda, allowing it to sit for 8 to 10 hours. The longer you are able to let it sit, the better.
- Vacuum up all of the baking soda with a hand vacuum, then closely examine the area to make sure it’s properly clean and odor-free.
- If any smell or stain remains, repeat the process.
Extra Tips for Tough Stains
If you’ve discovered a pee accident long after it initially occurred, you don’t have to panic. While it is more difficult to remove dried urine from a mattress, it is possible to work a little cleaning magic on the stain. With just a few basic cleaning supplies, you can have the mattress looking like new in next to no time at all.
- First, you’re going to mix up a cleaning solution that’s surprisingly simple yet versatile. In a spray bottle, mix 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, 3 tablespoons of baking soda, and 2 to 3 drops of liquid detergent, such as dish soap. If you’d like, you can also add a few drops of your favorite essential oil, like lavender or lemon, for a fresh scent.
- Gentle swirl the bottle (do not shake) to combine all ingredients.
- Generously spray all urine stains with the cleaning solution, applying an even layer to every visible spot.
- Allow the mixture to sit until it has completely dried. You will notice a light layer of baking soda residue.
- Using a hand vacuum, clean up all of the residues.
- If the stain or odor persists, repeat the above steps.
Preventing Mattress Stains and Damage
The best way to tackle urine stains in a mattress is to avoid them altogether. Even though it’s an accident that can happen to anyone – especially those of us with children and pets – taking a few simple steps can make all the difference:
Invest in a high-quality mattress protector.
- Every mattress in your home, including both adult’s and children’s beds, should be outfitted with a high-quality mattress protector. By serving as a tough barrier against moisture, spills, and bacteria, the right mattress protector can extend the life of your mattress significantly.
- Not only will a mattress protector guard against stains such as urine, but it will also reduce contamination from dust, mildew, bedbugs, mold, sweat, and more. When you consider that a protector is your first line of defense against a ruined mattress, it becomes clear that mattress protectors are a worthwhile investment.
Create a comfortable sleep space for pets that is not your bed.
- We know, evicting your beloved pup or cat from your bed can be a tough call to make. However, it’s often the very best way to cut down on pet accidents in bed. Consider setting up a pet-friendly sleep space using a cat or dog bed, a cozy blanket, and a few of their favorite toys. Not only will this keep your furry family member out of your bed, but it might help them sleep more soundly as well.
Replacing an Old or Damaged Mattress
Have you struggled to remove a urine stain from a mattress, but to no avail? If you’re dealing with a stubborn stain and a mattress that’s more than six to seven years old, it may be time to get a clean slate. For most mattresses, the maximum lifespan is nine to ten years, and depending on the quality of yours, it could be even shorter than that.
The good news is that whether you’re shopping for new twin mattresses or a California king, today’s top-of-the-line products offer an array of features that can dramatically improve your sleep quality. Not only will you enjoy a fresh, unstained mattress, but you’ll also sleep better.
Shop for High-Quality, Affordable Mattresses from MATTRESS360
An excellent mattress is an investment, but that doesn’t mean you have to break the bank to purchase one that’s worthwhile. In fact, if you’re shopping with the right retailer, it’s possible to get a mattress that truly has it all: a great price, incredible comfort, and impressive durability.
At MATTRESS360, we carry an extensive selection of mattresses, including a variety of options from the best sleep brands in the industry. With such a diverse range to choose from, it’s simple to find a mattress that suits your budget, sleep style, and preferences. And once you find your perfect mattress, you can ensure that it’s properly protected with one of our professional-grade mattress protectors.
MATTRESS360 is one of the top-rated mattress stores in Phoenix, proudly serving generations of loyal customers from all over the Valley. Here, you can be confident that we put your needs first. Find your new mattress and all the accessories you need by visiting MATTRESS360 today. You can contact us online or call (623) 376-8360 for more information!
Photo Credit: Jes2u.photo