Pillows, most people understand that investing in a good mattress is important, but many don’t realize that purchasing a high-quality pillow is just as critical. To get a good night’s sleep, you need a good pillow that provides a healthy amount of support for your head and neck. It is very essential that your head, neck, and spine are kept in proper alignment during sleep. Otherwise, you may find yourself tossing and turning, or waking with a sore neck, back, and even chronic headaches.
If you’ve been sleeping on the same pillow for a year or more, it’s time to make a change. Not only does your pillow accumulate skin cells, sweat, and body oil over time, it can also become a comfortable home for dust mites and allergens. Also, regular use can flatten a pillow over the course of several months, creating flat spots and lumps that can disrupt a good night’s sleep.
Figuring out the best pillow to buy doesn’t have to be an overly complicated process. With just a few easy tips, you can come prepared with a basic knowledge of the science of pillows.
- Your ideal pillow depends largely on your typical sleeping position. If you conduct an Internet search for something like, “what is the best pillow to buy,” you are going to come up with a plethora of varying answers. Part of the reason for this is that the perfect pillow is largely subjective, with different types fitting different people. For example, back sleepers need a medium support pillow, while stomach sleepers need something softer.
- There are a variety of pillow materials to fit your preferences. Pillows have come a long way in recent decades, and you can choose from materials like memory foam, latex, and even a high-tech cooling gel like the one used in Technogel pillows. Test out a few different options to get an idea of what you like best.
- A pillow is an important investment. Your health and happiness are very valuable, so consider a good pillow to be an investment in your health. Shop at a high-quality store like MATTRESS360, and avoid the uncomfortable, low-quality pillows that most big box stores carry.
- Know basic pillow terms. Familiarize yourself with terms like “down,” “down alternative,” and “memory foam,” or ask a sleep professional to show you examples of each. Understanding the basics will help you know what you’re looking at when it comes time to make a decision.
- Take any medical conditions into account. The best pillow for sleep apnea is going to be different than a standard pillow because it will provide specific features to support safe and healthy sleep. Keep issues like chronic pain, migraines, sleep apnea, and poor circulation in mind when pillow shopping.
- Test out your options. Make sure you get a feel for the options you are considering and even lay down on them if possible. Just like a mattress, you want to try it before you buy.
A Note About Older Pillows
If your pillow is older than a year, it’s time to get a new one. Not only have they lost their shape, but they could also contain mold and other allergens that can affect a good night’s sleep, especially if you sweat throughout the night. Our Purecare pillows are made specifically to be bacteria and mold-resistant and come in three different styles, one for each sleeper.
You can avoid these pillow pitfalls by going to the pillow experts at MATTRESS360. We know each type of sleeper needs a specific type of pillow that will provide proper support. We carry a wide selection of high-quality pillow options, and can help you find your perfect one!
Find the Perfect Pillow in Glendale, AZ with Mattress360
If you’d like help in finding a good pillow, the sleep experts at MATTRESS360 are more than happy to help. One of the most common questions our customers ask is, “What is the best pillow for sleeping?” So, we have quite a bit of experience helping people with a variety of sleep styles and preferences finding a pillow that suits their needs.
Plus, we offer some of the best deals in the Valley and an extensive selection of sleep essentials. To browse our top pillows in person, and find one that will change your sleep health, visit the MATTRESS360 showroom in Glendale, AZ today.
Now that you're educated on Pillow Science, come see our inventory!
Photo: George Rudy