When it comes to learning how to pick the best mattress, there’s no shortage of resources out there. MATTRESS360 has a wealth of information on the topic. But while no question finding the right mattress is critical to your sleep quality, there’s another equally important factor that is often underestimated: picking a pillow.
Even though mattresses tend to get all the attention, your pillow also plays a pivotal role in your sleep quality. The MATTRESS360 team is walking you through selecting the right pillow for your needs, so you can have your best’s night sleep every night of the week.
How to Choose a Pillow
Ready to find the pillow of your dreams? Here are our top tips for shopping for a pillow you’ll love.
Prioritize Proper Support
Ultimately, your pillow’s most important job is to provide proper support all night long, specifically suited to your sleeping position and style. Your head, neck, and spine need to be consistently kept in neutral alignment, while your spine’s natural curvature is also supported. This will work wonders on back and neck pain but also ensure full-body pressure relief and all-night comfort.
1. Understand the Connection Between Pillow Type and Sleep Position.
There are many different types of pillows, most of which are tailored for healthy posture in specific sleeping positions. So, before you can pick a pillow, you need to consider the position in which you’re usually snoozing:
- Back sleepers need a pillow with medium firmness and loft and often find optimal comfort with conforming materials such as memory foam. These characteristics make for a pillow that relieves neck and shoulder pressure for back sleepers, keeping the spine in alignment and preventing flattening.
- Side sleepers typically need pillows with firm support and a high loft, made from fluffy materials that can be easily shaped (like down or down alternative). Side sleeper pillows will keep your head aligned with your spine and prevent your shoulder from suffering from too much pressure. There are also specialized pillows designed with a cut-out for your shoulder, maximizing both next support and comfort.
- Stomach sleepers have the trickiest time finding a great pillow because this position naturally puts you at risk for strain and pressure. But if you’re committed to sleeping on your stomach, try a pillow with a low loft and high support. Compressible fill materials (like down and down alternative) ensure enough customization for your comfort.
2. Know Which Innovative Features Are Right For You
Once you’ve narrowed it down to a handful of options that address the needs of your sleep style, you can start thinking about wants. The sleep industry is known for its engineering and design innovation, which means that it can be an impressive array of features packed into a single pillow.
Here are just a few of our favorite pillow features that can make a world of difference in your comfort and the quality of your sleep:
- Cooling technology: One of the most common complaints from people struggling to sleep is that they get too warm at night. Our bodies need to be kept at an ideal temperature to sleep well, which is why investing in a pillow with cooling technology can completely change the way you sleep.
- Responsive comfort: Certain materials can give your pillow the ability to adapt to your changing positions all night long, so you’re always comfortable.
- Top pillow picks: Malouf-Zoned Gel Talalay Latex Pillow and TECHNOGEL-Deluxe Pillow
- Essential oil infusions: You’ve probably heard about peppermint, lavender, or CBD for sleep, but what if you could buy a pillow that was infused with these plant-based properties? A series of pillows crafted by Malouf offers precisely that, with pillows made with all-natural infusions of peppermint, CBD oil, and lavender.
3. Consider Your Pillow an Investment.
When you purchase a pillow, you’re investing in your health and happiness – because both are significantly affected by your sleep quality. So, while it can be tempting to grab a cheap pillow at your local big-box store, you deserve better. Instead, stick with trusted brands and products available only at premium sleep stores like MATTRESS360.
Browse Premium-Quality Pillows at a Great Price at MATTRESS360
Finding a pillow that balances quality with affordability can be challenging, but not if you’re shopping at MATTRESS360. Our selection of pillows includes options from respected brands such as BedTech, Malouf, and TEMPUR-Pedic, putting innovative features within easy reach for Valley shoppers. And if you aren’t sure which pillow is your ideal match, don’t worry – we have an experienced, enthusiastic team that’s ready to help.
Discover your perfect pillow by coming to our Glendale mattress store today. You can also reach out by calling (623) 376-8360 or contacting us online. We look forward to helping you find the perfect sleep combination for you and your family!
Image Credit: Shutterstock / Unitone Vector